The impact from storms on large scale solar facilities can be very costly. On occasion, 10’s of millions of dollars worth of equipment can be damaged within a 5 minute exposure event.
The impact from storms on large scale solar facilities can be very costly. On occasion, 10’s of millions of dollars worth of equipment can be damaged within a 5 minute exposure event. When strong environmental influences strike a solar facility it can be left an unsightly wreak that is heart breaking to witness. It can reduce site safety, impact the local community, reduce system output, reduce confidence in green technology and potentially weaken the stable supply of energy flow for our power grid. Not to mention an increase in insurance premiums.
Many different locations where new renewable energy projects are being built will need to factor in how new flood and storm modelling could impact their site. To navigate these pitfalls additional work might be required to bolster the strength of the surrounding infrastructure. This could be extra trees planted along fence lines to shield strong winds? Or heavier rainfall models might identify the need to increase the size of drainage? The end result of not making considerations to address increased weather exposure could be the difference in mild damage to millions of dollars in damage and a system that is forced off-line for months. These are losses that need to be avoided as they can greatly reduce the profitability of the project.
If you have a solar farm that has been impacted by an extreme weather event of any kind and you would like to extract a better understanding of the sites health, there are solutions. Detailed 3D modelling supplied by ScanPro will reveal PV module and solar tracker damage. Erosion and land change can be identified. Excessive water flow eroding soil and opening exposed underground electrical conduits. Volumetric calculations of landscape change. ScanPro can supply high resolution digital maps and models of your site to identify these threats before they occur or supply answers after these events occur.
Our work has helped insurance policy holders secure the support they need to get their infrastructure back online and rehabilitation works started.
We help clients identify threats and action on these before an event occurs.
ScanPro is helping our clients work towards building a more environmentally resilient facility that can withstand the growing threats of climate change.
ScanPro’s work has the ability to:
- Map the entire site capturing the damage sustained. Use this for insurance claims when planning, quoting and repair works
- High resolution aerial photography provides the best form of documentation over damaged areas
- Pre and post storm event models created to track changes and areas of great impact
- 3D models, Digital terrain models and LiDAR will help to identify the volume of change in landscape terrain
- Wind damage assessments on steel solar tracker systems – gauge the volume of damage sustained. Our data could help identify a weak point in design
- EL testing on potentially broken modules – Has wind or hailstones strikes cracked silicone cells?
- Supply a modern solution for insurance claims – Intelligent reporting, spreadsheets combined with detailed analysis that applies our industry knowledge helps our clients find the answers and delivers these answers in easy to use software platforms
- Cover vast areas of land, fast – ScanPro’s drone services have the ability to cover large areas of land efficiently collecting all the data required to allow damage assessment to begin as soon as possible
Value this service delivers our clients:
- Findings that will lead to a fast turnaround towards repairs
- Accurate modelling and assessments
- Improve the solar industries supply and installation practices
- Provide a solution that is cost effective
- ScanPro supplies a modern, professional solution to reporting through advanced cloud based portal
- Resolve disputes and disagreements with clear and concise findings
- Professional documentation methods used
- Mitigate electrical threats
- Provide a solution to stabilising a reliable supply of energy generation
ScanPro is Australia’s largest supplier of PV aerial thermographic inspections. With over 500 mega watts of aerial ops already completed and a further 3.5 giga watts in the pipeline we are helping guide Australia’s PV construction companies with a trusted source of actionable data. ScanPro has already reviewed over 1.4 million energised PV modules connected in the field across Australia.
Our work is conducted within IEC 62446-3 requirements and parameters and infrared level one and two certified operators always attend site. We have over 18 years experience in the electrical industry, over 9 years conducting infrared inspections and 8 years working in solar.
Deliver confidence, build credibility and support investment.